Re: Resolutions and combinations

 Date:  Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:17:35 -0500
 To:  jaitchis(at)hwy.com.au,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
John,

it can certainly make one crazy (er) trying to keep track, no doubt about that.

Because I have proven over time to be a rather simple minded fellow, I try
to keep things simple:

1) Design for the lowest common denominator as supported by documentation
(that would be your demographic research).
2) Use ratified code, avoiding fixed widths in tables whenever possible.
3) Keep in mind that HTML is a markup language - not - a page layout language.

Playing by these three "rules", I have found life much simpler! I use ONE
browser (which ever one will get me to the validator), and one resolution
(because I know my content will dynamically resize to fit whatever client
combination is used).

That has worked 99.999999% of the time over the last several years. The
only real exception being when I had to please a client that didn't pay
attention when I explained that there were "millions" of
browser/resolution/platform variations out there.

FWIW,
Fuzzy.