RE: CSS in Netscape

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:06:30 +1000
 To:  Rebecca Campbell <rcampbel(at)standard.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:49 29/09/99 -0700, you wrote:
>But this suggests that we should never evolve to better browsers...  that we
>should mire ourselves in the cesspool of the lowest common denominator.
>Okay, cesspool is a bit strong and certainly people who have 386 machines
>shouldn't be left out of everything.  But I don't think old computers should
>determine how a website is designed.  Basically, it all comes down to
>audience.  If you want absolutely everybody to be able to see your pages,
>you can either have 8000 redirects or a no-frills website.  (I'm into
>hyperbole today).

Hmm - re-read your statement on "audience" - that is the key to this dilemma!!

If I'm after INFORMATION, then waiting for eternity for shockwave files and
fantastic graphics won't impress me much!

If I'm after ENTERTAINMENT, that's a different kettle of fish entirely, and
the majority of database served pages will leave me cold..

>Also, IE is better than NN when it comes to interpreting pages, JavaScript,
>and especially CSS, in my experience.

Extremely wrong!  Only better at interpreting CSS.  IE is way ahead in this
field!

Javascript and HTML are much better on Netscape.  IE's "fault tolerance"
should not be confused with "better" since it only encourages sloppy
coding.  Hmm...perhaps that explains the bloated code in MS Windows!!  I've
always wondered why a webserver on other platforms takes around 2-3Mb, but
it takes whopping 40-60Mb on Windows!!  :)   There is _NO_ excuse for a
2000% increase in size!!

>Until then, however, I
>prefer to design for IE because my pages work in IE.

I may have quoted you out of context here, but again: Only so long as your
audience justifies this response.  One of the sites I currently maintain
has >75% NN usage - I don't think your efforts would be appreciated in that
case :)

Don't "program" yourself out of a job.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au