Re: Multiple pull downs reload problem

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Oct 1999 13:05:52 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:12 PM 10/6/99 , De Atley tickled the electrons and they aligned
themselves to form these words:

>My 3rd submittal of this question since Saturday...[snip

>A 2 frame page, 3 pull downs in the top frame.  Selection of a link from
>any of the pull downs loads fine in the lower frame the first time each
>link is selected except...
>
>If I load link 'a' from pull down '1', then any link from pull down '2' or
>'3' and go back to reload 'a' from '1' again, 'a' '1' wont load.  I first
>have to pick another link ('b', 'c', etc...) from pull down '1' before I
>can get 'a' '1' to reload.
>
>Can somebody visit the page and let me know what I'm missing?  I visited
>tutorials on forms/pulldowns but haven't been able to locate the trick/tag
>to fix this!?

Hi Dave!

I know next to nothing about Javascript, but here's a shot in the dark.

In order for your script to work correctly (reset to your default) the page
has to be refreshed in the browser. Since your drop down lists are in your
(non-refreshing) upper frame you need to make the page (the upper frame)
refresh somehow.

You can confirm this by right clicking the upper frame in NS and selecting
Reload Frame. When you do that, the drop returns to the default setting and
you can reselect link 'a' from pull down '1' after making a pick from one
of the other two drop down menus.

I think in order for this to work you either have to 1) refresh that frame
somehow (which may defeat the purpose of having it- I don't know) or 2)
(and the ice gets pretty thin under my feet here...) use a "go" button
instead of the auto-select function in your Javascript.

Hopefully this rambling will provide some insight, if not a solution  ;^ )

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com