Re: Keywords

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:20:27 +1000
 To:  Michael Jon Muehlendorf <haoka(at)wi.tds.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 15:28 13/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am perplexed.  I published a site about 1 1/2 years ago, and indexed it
>with the usual "Big 10".  And, although I included all of the keywords
>pertaining to the site's purpose (i.e. products, services, etc.) the search
>results on different keywords yields high success on some, and very low
>success on others.  I wonder why this is the case.

Some search engines give higher ranking to words that appear at the start
of tags.  For example:

   <.H2>Apples, oranges, lemons<./H2>

Apples would receive a higher weighting than lemons because it is closer to
the opening tag.

Don't forget that competition for those "key words" could also factor into
the situation.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Firefighter, Werribee Fire Brigade, CFA