Re: Frontpage v Rest of the Editors

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:44:24 +1000
 To:  Prh108(at)aol.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Peter,

At 02:02 15/10/99 -0400, Prh108(at)aol.com wrote:
>It's time to update my web editor from yes AOLpress to something newer, my
>plan is for Frontpage unless there's anything better in the wyswyg field.
>
>And I know this is a regular question, but things change fast out there

Yes, but things haven't changed for a while (apart from a gradual shift
from FP9x to FP2000)

Can you be more specific about "what you desire" in an editor?  That may
help in receiving better quality responses.  I'll give you some examples
based on my experiences with DW and FP:
* are you interested in the site management functions
In some instances the directory structure on my computer DOES NOT MATCH
that on the websites I maintain (server limitations).  For this reason the
FTP uploading capacity of DW/FP is unsuitable in many cases.
* what are your Java Scripting requirements?  Is "canned" JS (like DW and
Coffeeup) desirable?
I haven't tried CoffeeCup, but IMO Dreamweaver is to Javascript, what FP is
to HTML :)

Some other questions:
* what tools to you expect to use
* of what importance are templates and how are they implemented?
* how much do you want to customise your editor?
* how much do you want to pay???

If you are interested in Dreamweaver or FP - download a trial version and
check it out.  I prefer DW myself, but I still rely on my trusty Super
Notetab text editor for most of the work - I find it's so much quicker when
making similar changes to multiple (non-DW-templated) pages.  FP2000 still
messes with my code too much for MY use.

As for which is best - it depends VERY MUCH on YOUR specific needs.  There
are many functions you don't actually realise you use/need until you start
to use them (or can't use them as the case may be :)

Definitely check out the trial versions!! HTML programming can be VERY
user-specific!  What satisfies the needs of one person won't work for
another.  Unfortunately this type of question generally leads to the
fanatical responses from those who only know what works for them.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Firefighter, Werribee Fire Brigade, CFA