Re: Multiple HEAD, BODY & HTML tags?

by Mark Horvath <mhorvath(at)shore.net>

 Date:  Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:03:32 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>  Looking at the source code for
>http://www.dtpjournal.com/designresources.html I noticed that this
>document had extra <HEAD>, <BODY>, and <HTML> tags. Was this on purpose?
>If so, what could be the reason? If it was accidental, what kind of
>problems could it cause if any?

Hi Rob,

It looks like someone was just a wee bit careless in their "cut-n-paste".
My guess would be the page content was created in MS Word, saved in an html
format and inserted into the web page.  Since the page is viewable, I
suppose no harm  done. (I looked at it in Windows versions of IE5, NN3.04,
NN4.08 and Opera 3.6 and all rendered the page fine.). But it is,
unfortunately,  very bad coding. Those redundant tags shouldn't be there at
all and will not validate. Come to think of it, neither would the /FONT
SIZE tag in line 83. (where did that one come from?) The site has a
professionally designed feel to me and if true, the designers should know
enough html to know better. But deadlines can make good people do
  str-a-a-a-nge things!

Best wishes,

Mark Horvath