Re: validation of NAME attribute (was: W3C Validation)

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:10:16 +1100
 To:  Cindy Stanley <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>,
hwg-basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sue asked:
 >It says that NAME is not a valid attribute for an IMG. What do I do with
 >this when my mouseovers need it?

And Cindy Stanley answered:
>You would opt to use arrays, for validation of HTML 4.0 Transitional.
>
>Follow the tutorial below (compliments of our fellow HWG member, Larry
>Coats)
><http://wolves.dreamhost.com/web/js/roll01.htm>

The HTML 4.01 Specification - currently listed as a Proposed
Recommendation, recommends the addition of the name attribute for image
objects for reasons of backwards compatibility.  Therefore, why waste time
rewriting code if the rules are about to change :)

   http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/appendix/changes.html#h-A.1.1.9

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Firefighter, Werribee Fire Brigade, CFA