Re: Bizarre mouseover

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 05 Dec 1999 13:04:49 +1100
 To:  "K. Hammond" <hammondeh(at)earthlink.net>,
"hwg-basics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:49 4/12/99 -0500, K. Hammond wrote:
>I wrote a simple mouseover routine for a page and it's exhibiting some
>bizarre behavior. It's a multiple rollover and everything seems to work
>fine...*unless* I placed the cursor over one of the links that swap
>images before the page finishes downloading. Then the secondary image is
>distored, the rollovers don't swap images, and some of the links don't
>work.

Resorting to Javascript before the page downloads is always unpredictable -
can you decrease the size of the download in any way? (eg, breaking up
tables into smaller portions, reducing file size of graphics, including
dimensions in images and other objects)

>Preloaded images embedded in  <head> tag:

This could be part of your problem.  I'm not familiar with NN4.6, but there
was (is?) a bug in NN4 with respect to image loading.  It is necessary to
preload your images in the BODY of the page, not the HEAD.  Try shifting
your preloading section there and see if it helps!

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au