Re: Meta_Keyword(was Re: I want to learn Homesite)

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:46:12 +1100
 To:  kixi(at)altavista.net,
Rea <wrea(at)irt.net>
 Cc:  "hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 19:49 15/12/99 +0100, Jakob D�lling wrote:
> > For meta tags you are allowed only a certain number of characters in
> > each of your keyword and description tags AND are not allowed to break
> > to the next line of text by hitting the ENTER key. (like a typewriter
> > carriage return)
><Astonished>Hie?? I think Carriage Return (CR) (aka Enter) counts a
>blank.</Astonished>
>Or is the CR treated as CR as in TeX?
>Or can anyone from this list the official truth (in the meaning of
>specification) of
>the Meta-tag?

I vaguely recall reading in the HTML 4 specification that you should not
include carriage returns in the middle of attributes. The reason being that
interpretation by user agents was unpredictable.

Therefore:

   content = "quoted string should be written on one line"

not:
   string should be written on one line"

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au