Re: QBASIC

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Apr 2000 14:44:58 +1000
 To:  Rachel Sz <Pray(at)netnitco.net>,
HWG <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:55 6/04/00 -0500, Rachel Sz wrote:
>Thank you all for your responses and I    apologize for starting a off topic
>discussion. I was not aware of Python. I just wanted to teach the children
>some very basic programming before advancing them they are 7 & 11. That is
>what I have information and small programs for.
>I hold to the philosophy that they should know how to walk really good
>before running, that is why my 11 you still does simple multiplication facts
>once a week until he can do 100 in less than 5 minute.

G'Day Rachel,

QBasic eventually evolved into Visual Basic, although I admit that also
contains the "visual" component.

If you are interested in teaching them HTML as well, then aim for
VBScript.  It is the native language for Active Server Pages, and there are
a number of free hosts offering ASP capability nowadays.

Also, Microsoft puts out a help file on VBScript documentation.  It still
uses Do..While and For...Next loops and is very similar to QBasic, but with
the added advantage that it is immediately applicable for web applications.

Another alternative of course is Javascript, but that's a little too
"formal" for beginners IMO.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au