Accessibility - the next step [was Re: Validation Issues....]

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Apr 2000 15:00:49 +1000
 To:  Tamara Abbey <t_abbey(at)USA.net>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 14:01 6/04/00 -0500, Tamara Abbey wrote:
 >I learned to a) preview in both browsers before uploading; and
 >b) VALIDATE (or at least come close so I know what will work
 >and why). These are things I learned from this list (thank you
 >all for your help and patience these many months).

In my experience, validating to HTML 4 (or 4.01 if you want to be precise)
virtually ensures your pages are on the way to being Bobby compliant -
http://www.cast.org/bobby/ - for those who haven't been there lately.

Non-proprietary tags ARE necessary at times, but Bobby compliance is even
more important - it's currently built along the W3C Accessibility Guidelines.

For those of you who have mastered the "validation syndrome" - here is the
next step!  Keep in mind these two important concepts:

* the proportion of disabled people shopping online will be higher than the
proportion shopping in person
* designing for alternative browsers also opens your site to the "browsers
of the future" (mobile phones, PDA's, etc)

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au