Re: table help

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Fri, 26 May 2000 13:42:45 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:20 AM 5/26/00 , Ken Guttman tickled the electrons and they aligned
themselves to form these words:

>Hi,
>       I am having a table problem with a personal hobby page I'm
>working on (www.rduairplanes.com). I have divided the layout into two
>tables, one for the header and one for everything else. However, I
>can't get the left border of the second cell in each table to line up
>vertically, despite the fact that the first cell in each table is 150
>pixels wide. It looks okay in IE 5, but not in Netscape 4.7. What am I
>doing wrong?

Nothing, it's a function of how NS renders tables, nothing you've done
incorrectly. Place a transparent 1x1 gif sized appropriately in each left
column cell and it should behave.

>My goal is to left-align the header with the main text in
>Netscape. My background image (the blue bar) is 150 pixels wide as
>well...why don't the table borders of the first cell line up with it
>in either browser?

You've declared cellpadding=4 in your table definition. 150+4+4=158. If you
want the text closer to your border, either reduce the cellpadding amount,
or decrease the width of the actual cell.

>       Also, in both browsers, when I increase the default text size,
>my menu starts moving downward in the second table. Why is this? Is
>there a more efficient way of designing my tables for this simple
>design?

Add valign="top" to the cell tag and that should fix it.

hth

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com
phone: (509) 521-5424