Re: Making PDF Files

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2000 13:04:44 -0700
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:54 PM 5/30/00 , Daniel B. Swartz, Ph.D., CI, CT tickled the electrons
and they aligned themselves to form these words:
>This question goes to the string about PDF files.  I have Acrobat, just
>recently purchased.  I have scanned a few docs and saved them as optimized
>pdf files.
>
>I was wondering if its normal that these documents are a bit huge?  My
>concern is that I don't want to turn off visitors to my site who go to the
>pdf files and they take a bit of time to open.

Yes, they do tend to get rather large. Basically a pdf file is a graphic of
the original file. Not exactly, but close enough for discussion purposes.

Since the format uses no compression scheme I've been able to detect, you
get big files.

Simply make them available and tell your visitors how big the files are
next to the link to the pdf, and let them decide if they want to wait or not.

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com
phone: (509) 521-5424
fax: (603) 288-0200