AOL Mailto problem [was "Re: mailto:"]

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:57:38 +1000
 To:  Kate Pollara <kpollara(at)home.com>,
"HTML Writers' Guild" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Kate,

At 17:43 2/06/00 -0400, Kate Pollara wrote:
>So perhaps this is why my mailto doesn't work with aol?
>If you can, please check out my site:
>http://www.jsjbf.com/joinform.html
>This is the code I have in there and I cannot for the life of me figure out
>why it doesn't work in aol but it works in other browsers.
><A HREF =
>        "mailto:webmaster(at)jsjbf.com">webmaster(at)jsjbf.com</A>

In this case the problem is not with your HTML code - but with the
Browser/Email client interface that links "mailto" commands with your email
program.

This is what Kara referred to earlier with this statement:

 >afaik, the second method (showing the address onscreen) is better--some
 >browsers don't support mailto, and some people would rather copy down the
 >address and deal with it later.

That's why I always favour the second method - displaying the address in
full wherever possible.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au