Re: WAP

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:36:26 +1000
 To:  Shelley Watson <shelleyw(at)home.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 16:55 11/08/00 -0700, Shelley Watson wrote:
>Hi again :)  (trying to catch up after holidays dontcha know ;) )

After just returning from 4 weeks away I know EXACTLY how you feel *g*

>Ok, WAP.

A couple of months ago I'd have said "very cutting edge", but it's becoming
more wide spread.

>I'm working on a proposal for a website where the
>client would like WAP capabilities probably in the near future
>(like 6 months).  So, I've started to do some research on the web
>and am wondering if anyone has some site recommendations (or even
>comments) for me.

Very much a chicken and egg type scenario at present - it needs two things
to make it viable, a ready audience and a stable system.  IMO neither are
really there at present.  Yet, when you look at how long it took HTML to
grow, WAP is coming ahead in leaps and bounds.  Definitely something you
don't want to miss.

Unfortunately most devices vary remarkedly in their capabilities, as the
prototypes progress.  Add the Ericcson vs Nokia battle, combined with
several superceded models and already I can see it becoming a major
nightmare to program for.  I'll be happy when Profiles and Modularisation
of XHTML is complete - that may bridge the gap somewhat.

>I also thought that it would be a good idea to
>take the HWG course on Web Accessibility - any comments regarding
>that.

I think this would be a GREAT idea.  It really starts you thinking about
how to present your information to different audiences who use different
devices.  HTML already contains so many options for different access devices.

I'd also recommend the XML class for an eye-opener into how XML will be the
way of the future.

Chris