Re: banning from site?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:17:33 +1000
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Jen,

At 12:59 3/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I help out on a celeb. site, one thing I do is moderate a message board.  We
>do get the occasional 'fruitloop' that tries to post nasty/inappropriate
>messages which we block.  Lately we have had a persistent one and now the
>messages are threatening hacking the site.  Not that I think this person
>will carry out the threat but is there any way of blocking this person from
>the site if we know the ip address?

Unless the person has a fixed IP address, then you will need to block a
range of IP addresses from that provider.  That may exclude other valid
viewers - this is a choice your need to make.

Also, banning a single IP won't prevent them using anonymising services to
access your site.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au