Re: NN6 Doctype question

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:42:45 -0600
 To:  MEovino(at)Estes-Express.com,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:56 PM 12/18/00 -0500, MEovino(at)Estes-Express.com wrote:

>Why is it that when I use the following doctype on a page
>
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>There are big spaces between the images and the right and bottom edges of
>their table cells. This page http://www.estes-express.com/ uses that
>doctype. However, when I use this doctype Everything works fine. This page
>http://www.estes-express.com/online/pwrequest.htm uses that doctype. I
>know that NN6 works differently depending upon the doctype, but there
>shouldn't be anything seriously wrong with that first page. If I take out
>the illegal topmargin, leftmargin, marginheight, marginwidth attributes
>from body and the table cell background images from the two cells that use
>them, the page validates but still does not display as I'd hope.

This is just a theory Mike, but it might have to do with the fact that
you're not telling NN 6.0 /not/ to do that.

 From what I understand -- and you might want to check in over at
techniques too since Peter-Paul Koch is really researching and working on
some of these issues -- NN 6 will try to /literally/ implement the code as
you tell it to through the DTD.

I'm sorry I can't help any more, but there are also some links to resources
about NN 6 and how it's interpreting these things that I received from the
techniques list. I just haven't read them all yet -- sorry!

Again, just a guess but I hope it helps a little bit??

Tamara