Re: Another "Forms" Question

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Sat, 23 Dec 2000 07:18:40 -0600
 To:  <brent(at)dogwoodshelties.net>,
"HTML LIST" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:17 PM 12/22/00 -0600, Brent Chance wrote:
>I know that forms has been a topic of discussion many times on here.
>Recently when I joined I caught the tail-end of a discussion on this
>particular topic. I need a good server-side application to process the
>information that is entered into the form I create.  I am not great at HTML,
>still learning so the easier the better for me! *smile*

For your first attempt at forms, I would recommend
http://www.bignosebird.com/ They have an all-in-one form processor script
that's written in cgi. Bignose also has tutorials and support forums which
could help you out.

Many people use Matt's formmail, but I like bignose since it neatly formats
the responses for e-mailing wherever you choose and also writes them to
tab-delimited files that can be downloaded and imported into an Access
database on a pc. And, since I'm no programmer, bignose was easy to
customize and install -- I had it up in about 20 minutes.

Since it is cgi, you will need to have access to your host's cgi-bin, and
that's also the case with Matt's formmail.

If you're more familiar with server-side stuff, then there's always php or
asp or another language that could process the information. Again, you'd
have to have it available to you for it to work.

HTH,
Tamara