Re: handhelds (was:Strict DTD a new twist)

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:02:31 -0600
 To:  "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:56 AM 1/7/01 -0500, Captain F.M. O'Lary wrote:
>It sounds (so far) like we are split between the idea that these little
>devises are not really going to take off, and the idea that we will indeed
>need to create "special" pages for them.

Folks,

I think these little devices are going to take off (and I own one now too,
mainly for the novelty).

But, we won't see *websites* on them. What will happen is the same thing
that has happened all along. These things will evolve.

Just as direct marketing went from telephone sales and mailboxes to direct
marketing dot com with HTML, we'll have direct marketing on these cell
phones and PDAs but with WML.

And, just as you can not stuff a 6-page flyer onto a browser window, the
content will be modified to fit the delivery method.

So, we'll get direct marketing in our mailboxes, on the phone during
dinner, on our desktops and on our cell phones/pda's.

As far as what to tell clients, then they should understand this is a *new*
medium and it will cost them.

But, that's just my opinion.

FWIW,
Tamara