Re: Remote CSS File not working in Netscape 4.7

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:53:58 -0800
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  sfmalo(at)msn.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:27 PM 1/10/01 , Judith C. Kallos tickled the electrons and they
aligned themselves to form these words:
>Hello, Basics Members:  ;-)
>[big snip]

>Sharon,

NS 4.7 is picky about where the CSS file is physically in relation to the
html file. It seems to work best when they are in the same physical
directory (either on my hard drive, or my web server), you might check for
that little gotcha.

Further, 4.7 also has a horrible inheritance problem. Try adding TABLE, TD,
P and whatever other container html tags you have in your web page to your
body declaration on your style sheet. This *should* clear up the problem.

Better, (though more involved) would be to create individual styles for
each section of the page. It's better because of the inheritance thing.
Depending on how you declare your font sizes, NS 4.7 can do some funny
things to them (especially percentage sizes). Best bet to be sure it looks
as much alike in various browsers is to follow this route.

This has been my experience, YMMV.  8^ )

>>Sharon F. Malone
>><http://www.24caratdesign.com>http://www.24caratdesign.com
>>"web page design and Internet writing services"

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com
phone: (509) 521-5424
fax: (603) 288-0200