Re: "Journal" forms

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:02:37 -0600
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>,
HWG BASICS <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:19 PM 1/31/01 -0500, Villano, Paul wrote:
>I want to make a forms page that will act as a journal.  That is, the user
>would type in journal entries for the day and "post" the entries to a file
>on the hard drive.  Is this possible?  And would anyone have tips on how to
>do it?  It can't be much different than posting contents of a form to an
>e-mail, etc., can it?

Paul,

How would this differ from a guestbook? I'm sure the journal entries won't
be posted back to the internet, but it sounds like your journal could be
adapted from a guestbook script.

My favorite cgi scripts are at BigNose Bird: http://www.bignosebird.com/. I
have used their all-in-one form before and it writes the entries to a
tab-delimited file in the cgi-bin and I have downloaded that file into
Access (thanks Jim Tom Polk!).

I'm migrating toward php, so if you have the inclination and the tools, you
might also want to explore other programming solutions -- I currently
believe php can do anything and everything except turn on my VCR. 8-)

FWIW,
Tamara