Re: Is this off topic?

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:18:43 -0600
 To:  "Richard and Jolene Johnson" <jonric(at)tx3.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:42 AM 2/8/01 -0800, Richard and Jolene Johnson wrote:
>I am wondering just what the job market for web designers/developers is like
>in general.  I am in a one year web design program in the Seattle area, and
>I am hearing from students who are about to graduate that they can't find
>any job prospects, not even working for free.  Would it be too much to ask
>what types of employment some of you have, how you got there, and what
>skills you had to have to get there?  I can't see myself doing anything
>other than web work, but feel very bummed out about my future.

Jolene,

Darrell offered some great advice, the only thing I would add is to look
locally for networking opportunities. Digital Eve, WebGrrls, any kind of IT
groups could point you in some good directions.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and this topic came up recently with all the
*Pink Slip Parties* -- some are being hosted by recruiters I guess.

design firms and other businesses posted -- Here! Apply Here!

The local lists also received some posts *Where do I start* and it turns
out there were several folks that had leads on non-profits that needed
*free*lancers to get them on the web. They get a web site, you get a
portfolio /and/ a professional reference.

With all the talk of dot-gone, yeah, it's a nervous time for you, but look
at traditional business. According to what I've read, B2B is growing. I
just landed a client that wants to offer on-line ordering to their
commercial clients as well as tracking their shipments. They mainly offer
parts to industrial clients. Whoa, cross your fingers - I might even be
looking for help!

Tamara