Re: frames

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:59:24 -0600
 To:  "Cook,
Shelby" <scook(at)equibase.com>,
HWGBASICS <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:01 PM 2/27/01 -0500, Cook, Shelby wrote:

>Hi,
>Our site is now going to frames and I want to include instructions on
>printing html pages from frames for our users. Would you look at my
>instructions and let me know what I might want to change and what I might
>want to add.  These printing instructions are only from my own experience so
>I'm not sure if they work in all versions.  The majority of our users will
>be AOL people so I want to make sure they can use these instructions.
>TIA,
>Shelby Cook

Shelby,

I really don't understand frames. I just don't, and I was hoping someone
might help you out here. But, basically, I don't think it really matters
how many instructions you print to the screen. Frames will most likely
complicate printing even if you do publish instructions.

I have the feeling most users, AOL or otherwise, are going to hit the
printer icon on their browser bar.

It won't matter if you have a special page with a link and icon to send
them to so they can *Print This Page* which is something I've seen done --
usually after I've printed the page (WebMonkey is the first one that comes
to mind on this technique). And, that link generally sends folks to a whole
different HTML-lite type page. I really don't want to code a site twice,
and how many real-life folks /don't/ use the print-friendly version anyway?

Here's a technique I just saw referenced on another site:
http://www.sam-i-am.com/misc/TestSuite/css/mediatypes.html

(watch the wrapping) -- I don't think you can do this with frames, but then
again, those that actually work with frames might have some input. And, I
don't have aol, so I'm not sure how it would work, but this is a technique
I'm going to be watching. Really watching.

So, while I'm not really helping with your printing instructions, I hope
I've helped give you some reasons why you might want to keep an eye on some
CSS techniques. I really don't think instructions on how to print a page
are going to help.

Good luck!
Tamara