Re: text-heavy site- ideas?

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:50:26 -0600
 To:  brampton(at)lodinet.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:09 AM 2/28/01 -0800, Beth Brampton wrote:
>I'm under the impression that using CSS isn't the best idea, since some
>browsers won't support this...is that true? And if I do use CSS, do
>browsers that don't support CSS default to ordinary html.

Beth,

It's really going to depend on the CSS that you use. I would go ahead and
use it for some basic elements and styling since it will make your life
easier in the long run. One of the best tutorials I've seen on CSS is at
http://www.w3schools.com/.

If you have a lot of text, then try to be careful with the placement. There
are things you can do with bulleted lists, tabled *sidebars*, graphic main
navigation links and so forth that will allow some flexibility and visual
interest. You can also do some things with fonts, but be careful since not
all fonts are cross-browser. That one font that is absolutely perfect may
be non-existent on another machine.

One thing I like to do is visit the critiques list -- I don't actually
steal ideas or anything, but it's fun to look at how others approach
design. I work by myself so it's easy to find myself using the same
techniques. And, sometimes I'll see things that make me want to go back to
being a file clerk ;-)

Good luck, and have fun!

~Tamara