Re: ListServ

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:14:31 -0600
 To:  Bobbie Oese-Siegel <oese(at)flare.net>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:16 PM 3/14/01 -0500, Bobbie Oese-Siegel wrote:
>This question is a little off the beaten path, which just goes to
>underscore my novice status.  thanks for reading on.
>
>     * I need beginners advice on starting up a listserve
>     * I have already  visited majordomo auto software site, can pull out
>the highlights for me, (like making a map of the major routes first)?

Bobbie,

hmmmm, good question and hopefully someone has a better answer. My initial
reaction is to try something like Yahoo's mail lists (formerly eGroups,
formerly something else). It does mean putting up with their ads and
off-site branding, but it is fairly easy to run and administer. I've been
looking for various mail lists and bulletin board scripts and so forth, but
most of them are a little /too/ interesting to decipher and employ.

If you really want to try going it on your own, you might try hunting
around http://www.hotscripts.com/ and http://www.bignosebird.com/ .

Hotscripts has scripts in just about every language ever and it will give
you an idea of what's possible.

BigNoseBird is perl/cgi based and offers pretty good tutorials and forums
to support their scripts.

Good luck!
Tamara