Re: new domain names

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:36:58 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:43 PM 3/28/01 -0600, Susan Vollmer wrote:
>Although I don't have any information on the .info names, I personally
>prefer .com when available because it's easier for people to
>remember.  Even when I know a group is a non-profit organization, I always
>type .com out of habit if I'm doing it from memory.  Sometimes .com is not
>available so another choice is made.

I'm not going to jump into the new name fray mainly because of the .com
default. I registered IllinoisWildlife.org and their officers couldn't find
it -- they were looking for .com.

I do choose the .org for organizations simply because search engines are
really watching submissions and, so far, .orgs that are /truly/
organizations don't seem to be adversely affected. Yes, I probably should
register them as a dot-com and redirect to the dot-org, but then there's
this little finger shaking at me in my head -- it's not a dot-com, you know
it's not -- well, I still think dot-com is the default.

I don't know if it was this list or another one, but there was a woman who
did a web site for a car dealership. She /told/ the site owner that
auto.com (for example) was taken and he insisted on auto.net -- well, guess
where all his customers went :-(

Well, now I've gone and done it -- guess I'll have to talk to them about a
dot-com?

<tamara />