Fwd: Questions....

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:48:34 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Woody wrote:

>Me and my partner are starting a web development company..  which will offer
>site developement services..  editorial services..  and a consulting
>service....
>
>here is my question...
>
>1)  How do you decide what rate to charge.. it is based upon what is
>requested?  Hourly?  Flat rate?
>
>      For instance...  lets say its just a general informational site with
>just basic l        inkage..  no framing..  and maybe some tables.. and some
>custom graphics..       and adding digital fotos to the site...
>annnnnnnnnnnd...
>
>2)   Do you request a downpayment upfront.. and how much should be put down?
>$500?  $1000?  a percentage?
>
>Woody

I am new at this also. I have had good success charging according to this
formula for web site development:
** $750 for first page (custom artwork, look and feel, etc.)
** $150 for each additional page (or at least parent directory)
Right now, I don't take clients under $3,000. I require 50% up front
(unless it's a big project, then 1/3, 1/3, 1/3- last upon delivery).
Perhaps I can get away with this because I'm in a small-town community, but
here (and perhaps everywhere) there is a very small supply of good
designers and a huge demand, which means *we're* in control of the
marketplace. HTH,
BenO