Re: How to Turn Down a Client

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:58:11 -0700
 To:  Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:03 AM 6/18/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>A little passive agressive are we.

You said *we* so I'll assume you're speaking for yourself. I felt being
brutally direct was, shall we say, bad for the soul when I got started in
sales 20 years ago. I now know better.

>I agree that this is the way I frequently seem to work, but I do take on
>the tasks with best intentions.

There is nothing wrong with my intentions, either. A potential client that
isn't clear on what s/he wants is wasting his/her own time and yours as
well. As far as I'm concerned, they can waste someone else's time that
wants to waste time. Maybe yours!

>I have heard (and since this is a international forum--- perhaps someone
>can correct me) that the Japanese do not say no. They say "yes" when they
>mean "Yes" and they say "yes" when they mean "no", and you are supposed to
>know the difference.

And they're as sly as snakes in negociation (no offence meant: actually, a
compliment!)
BenO