Re: How to Turn Down a Client

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:12:23 -0700
 To:  "Edward & Charla Springer" <egs(at)hiwaay.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:57 PM 6/18/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>It is never a good idea to discourge prospective clients by "stringing
>them along" until they get tired of calling on you.

Your opinion.

>It is disrepectful, unethical and poor business.

Then why does everybody do it?

>First, you never know when that small potatoes client who you blew off
>will become a big fish you want to land (pardon the mixed metaphor).

Sure you do! When they *act* the part!!!

>Who knows, one day they may be big enough for your taste and they will
>know you are a person of integrity.

You miss the point entirely.

>Second, you never know who they know.

Yeah I do. I live in a small town. We *all* know each other.

>Our company once had a small account that we treated very shabbily which
>lead to their leaving us. Later, we lost the opportunity to land a large
>account because the buyer knew the old account and told us he did not want
>to do business with someone who treated clients so poorly.

Agreed. Don't treat clients poorly. But don't suffer abuse, either! There
is nothing wrong with stringing someone out that's wasting your only asset:
your time. Get a clue!

>As several have
>said, be honest and up front.

Doh!

>In this case, tell the client that you
>perceive that he needs help in getting focused and either offer to sign on
>to do that as part of the package or find someone to colaborate with.

And what if they debate the point? Waste more of your time? I can see
you're clearly a seasoned sales professional!

>Business may be brutal, but it does not have to be nasty.

What's nasty about stringing someone out? Please don't put words in my mouth!

BenO

***Everything Small Business Owners need to develop, market and make money
on the Internet, in one compact web site!
*** http://TheWebsons.com/SiliconHeartland/ ***