Re: How to Turn Down a Client

by Ben Ocean <beno(at)cnw.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:52:15 -0700
 To:  ErthWlkr(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>One writer stated that to string someone along "is disrepectful, unethical
>and poor business."
>The respondent wrote: "Then why does everybody do it?"
>
>Sorry - like I said, 20+ years in the business and this is the first I've
>heard of this tactic.  It's just bad business. Nope - "everybody" doesn't do
>it!

Excuse me. Do you even know what you're responding to? Forgive my
bluntness, but it seems to me you've completely lost the thread (how bout
that?). To bring your mind to the point (for a change), I *originally*
stated that there is nothing wrong with simply blowing off someone that's
wasting your time. Apparently you've been in business for a while. Do you
have a problem with this? Really? I'm absolutely amazed. And yes, take your
rose-colored glasses off: it happens all the time. Like, doh!

>Mr. Ocean has found his market and is doing business with the people who want
>to do business with him and has found success.  He won't do business with
>everyone - you can't do business with *everyone*.
>
>You decide how you want to conduct yourself in the sales arena - the
>marketplace is very democratic...it will decide if you're right or wrong.

Amen.

>Just remember, though - you will be treated as you've treated others.....

I am *highly* respected in my county. That's why I landed a contract just
south of 5 figures for my 4th ever web site. The proof of the pudding, as
they say, is in the tasting.

BenO

***Everything Small Business Owners need to develop, market and make money
on the Internet, in one compact web site!
*** http://TheWebsons.com/SiliconHeartland/ ***