Re: billions across the world in english

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:59:52 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
A confusion arises with the Million number, since a mil = 1000. A miligram
is 1/1000 of a gram.
I looked at a Colombian 2 Mil banknote and they meant 2,000 pesos (about
$1.00 or some such, their smallest note)
So our Million is 1000 hundred.
Others will enlighten us!

At 02:03 PM 6/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I've run across something: does a billion in US English mean the same
>thing as billion elsewhere.
>
>US billion:
>
>1,000,000,000
>
>enlightment would be appreciated.
>--
>

>Jim Tom Polk -:- jtpolk(at)texas.net -:- http://camalott.com/~jtpolk/
>         ''You might as well fall flat on your face as
>           lean over too far backwards.''      --James Thurber--
>    "The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three
>           elements: energy, matter and enlightened self-interest."
>                 - G'Kar  "Survivors"

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB
http://www.assumptionabbey.com