Re: JPG File Size

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Jul 2000 19:13:13 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Monitor resolutions have indeed increased.
If you have a 15" monitor, well, ok, it really is about 10.5 inches of
horizontal display it would give you the following resolutions:

at 600 px ........ 57 px/in (dpi)
at 800 px ........ 76 px/in
at 1024 px ...... 97 px/in (this is the resolution that I use)
at 1200 px ...... 121 px/in
at 1600 px ...... 152 px/in

leastwise, that is what I have figured out.

At 06:25 PM 7/8/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Jay and all,
>
>Unless things have changed and I am mistaken, the highest resolution that the
>typical monitor is capable of displaying is 72 dpi.  Anything image resolution
>above this is simply wasting file size if the intention is only to display
>on a
>typical monitor.  Even when scanning images in, as I do quite often, the
>quality is
>not affected and you gain nothing by scanning at higher resolutions if the end
>target is a typical PC monitor.  I only scan at higher resolutions if I am
>preparing an image for print.  Otherwise, I scan and edit at 72 dpi.  If
>you'd like
>an example of some of the quality that I achieve doing this, check out
>http://www.missmyrts.com/Tricia/mustang.html (this site is not yet complete).
>
>As far as rotating an image, you will not lose any quality at all if your
>image
>editing program is built to support the function adequately.  For
>instance, using
>Corel PhotoPaint, you will see a difference if the "anti-aliasing" is NOT
>checked,
>but no degradation at all if it IS checked.
>
>HTH,
>Keith D Sellars

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB
http://www.assumptionabbey.com