Re: Font Question

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Sun, 09 Jul 2000 07:52:09 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The quality of fonts may vary wildly. Free fonts might be poorly designed,=
=20
really good fonts might cost you about $60. per font, and you would only=20
use these for press applications where you can control the product from=20
start to finish. On the web, you cannot do this.

I think that sometimes you computer fakes the italic. If the font does not=
=20
come with an Italic, you still can usually tip a vertical font over and=20
make it look like italic, where as a well designed font will have an italic=
=20
version on your hard drive. Next, you have to presume that your viewer is=20
using the same font, otherwise his computer will generate some degradation=
=20
of the image. Using the most basic fonts such as New Times Roman, and=20
forgetting about other nice fonts such as Cheltenham or Bodoni will ensure=
=20
that a greater percentage of your users will have the font that you=
 specified.

At 12:31 AM 7/9/00 +0300, you wrote:
>Hello listers,
>I've noticed that fonts don't render very well using italics(at least in
>WWW browsers they don't). This fact has also been confirmed by other
>members of HWG. I wondered: "Do some fonts render better as italic text
>than others?" Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Best wishes,
>Lauri V=E4in
>--
>Lauri V=E4in
>Your own .com .net .org domain name is the best
>advertisement on the net. Click below to see if
>your domain name is still available and register it!
>http://www.virtualis.com/vr/lvin/domain_search.html

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB
http://www.assumptionabbey.com