Re: Image alignment Problem

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:31:48 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I do not wish to set off a discussion of hand code vs the WYSIWYGs, but all
of the good editors will allow you to open a properties window of some sort
for each and every element and sub-element that you can create. You can
select how your table will display, and then you must carefully understand
the table that you have created, for even if it looks good in one browser
(or px setting) it may not be what you have intended at all. This is
because the alignment of rows and cells is sometimes being controlled by a
single cell with a large object in it, and not by your code itself. A
WYSIWYG editor is excellent at helping you to understand the
interrelationships between the cells, the rows, the tables and their
assorted properties. If you try to drag a cell boarder, and it will not
stay where you put it, there is a reason for this. You will have to
discover what is controlling the alignment when it is not your code.

I have found that I have no trouble using tables to construct a page with
photos and texts, all doing what I want them to do. But this is a skill
that has taken many years, and a lot of frustration to develop. Given the
range of options available within tables, I do not know how I could have
mastered this skill with hand coding.

At 12:40 AM 7/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi there Fuzzy,
>
>Your right, the page doesn't validate, but the problem Jakob presented
>wasn't related to the errors you saw reported.  Fix those errors and you
>will still be left with a page that has floated images that are nested and
>the resulting layout will be the same.  In this case, the layout produced
>wasn't created because of invalid code, but incorrect code for the layout
>intended.  Jakob's problem has been a learning experience for me as this is
>the first time I've come across a scenario that required the 'clear'
>attribute for the break tag.  It intrigued me enough to experiment a little
>and break out the W3C spec..
>
>Hopefully, I didn't muddy the waters further.  Or should I say fuzzy :-)
>
>Steve
>
> > Hold on here gang.
> >
> > We are fixing everything except what is broken.
> >
> > Go to:
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/
> >
> > type in the exact URL for the document and you will see more than just a
> > few reasons the page is displaying improperly.
> >
> > Fix those *first* and you will find the display problem has mysteriously
> > disappeared.

Br. Elias Thienpont OSB
http://www.assumptionabbey.com