Re: PNGs

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:12:07 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I used to use PNGs, but pretty well gave it up:

1.  For IE, only 4.01 and above support it without plug-ins.

2.  For NN, only 4.04 and above support it without plug-ins.

3.  Some ISPs have produced modified versions of NN4 that omit PNG support.

4.  There is no animation support.

5.  IE recognizes one transparent colour; NN recognizes none. (Haven't
checked NN6).

I don't know about WebTV support, but the above problems are enough for me.
The bottom line for me is that we need much better, much more consistent
support of PNG files before I would make heavy use of PNGs.

- Chuck Upsdell

At 11:33 AM 04/26/00, you wrote:
>There's an interesting article in today's Industry Standard regarding
>gif's and licensing.
>(The Latest GIF Tiff:  AccuWeather's switch from GIF to open-source
>format for graphics is the latest wrinkle in the debate over software
>patents.
>http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,14486,00.html)
>
>My questions, they state that they are going to start using PNG's --
>which to my knowledge, only work in browsers IE & NN versions 4.0 and
>above.  Does anyone know if they work on WebTV and/or other platforms?
>Also, does anyone know of other sites that currently use PNGs?  Also, I
>believe that PNGs can't be animated -- is there something else that can
>(other than GIFs)?  Anyone here using PNGs?  What's your comments on
>them?
>
>Diane

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/