Re: Difference 'twixt XHTML and XML?

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 01 May 2000 18:50:07 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
XHTML 1.0 is just HTML 4.01 cast into XML form.  Converting is fairly easy,
though somewhat laborious.  All existing browsers that I have tested -
going back to Netscape 1.22 - render XHTML 1.0 pages just fine.  I have
converted 6-8 sites to XHTML, and am creating all new sites with it.

One of the things I like about XHTML is that it is stricter than
HTML:  e.g., end tags are not optional.  This helps avoid problems with
browsers like NN4 that can go berserk when tags like </td> - which the HTML
spec says is optional - are omitted.

At 05:42 PM 05/01/00, you wrote:
>Just what is the difference between them?
>I had been hearing how XML and XSL were going to revolutionise web design.
>All of a sudden, everyone is talking about XHTML.
>
>Either way, it's still a whole new load of stuff to learn (boy I never
>thought I'd hear myself complaining about the difficulty of markup
>languages)
>
>Thanks in advance (reply personally to give bandwidth to those with
>problems)

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/