Re: spelling and grammar

by pet70 <pet70(at)a-o.com>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:27:27 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have been reading this particular thread with interest. It's long been a
frustration to me to view websites that have very obvious spelling and
grammar errors, and we won't even go into how many don't live up to good
design.... We are assuming here that the participants on THIS list do a
better job than that. :-)

I'm not perfect, I know I make errors and don't always catch them. I've not
had formal training as a tech writer but I'm reasonably skilled in writing
and spelling. Knowing I occasionally make errors or miss a typo, I insist a
client look things over and tell me if s/he catches any problems, and
preferably gets others to look the site over for the same purpose. In some
cases where a lot of copy is required, I call in one of my tech writer
associates for writing/editing to make sure the job is done right. I highly
recommend maintaining a list of such people as outside consultants who can
be called to assist when needed.

In terms of publishing, on paper or in digital format, I've noted a great
increase in the number of errors that appear in "completed" work. There are
many people, including myself, who are turned off by a site immediately
when they come across consistently misspelled words and chances are
excellent they won't return. If you can't trust the spelling and grammar on
a site, why should you trust the information thus imparted? One cannot
emphasize enough the importance of quality work in all aspects of a web page.

>I think what has happened is that the field of web design is currently
>dominated by technicians and computer graphics professionals

I'm a computer graphics professional and a technician, but I was also
taught spelling and grammar in elementary school. It has nothing to do in
particular with one's field of endeavor. IMHO the increasing emphasis by
the educational system on passing a state-approved test that "proves" kids
have basic skills (and teachers having to teach to the test) rather than
the kids really learning skills they can use is the culprit. The school
systems have no choice, it's what lawmakers are forcing on them.

As long as all web designers continue to strive for higher quality work,
which is what I see as the real emphasis of these mailing lists (since we
all learn from them), this medium will continue to improve... and if you
want to look at it in a more self-serving way, your paycheck will increase
with better quality work.  :-)

Btw, I often read the list at those times when I can spare a few moments,
very often long after a thread has ended, and would appreciate answers to
participants' questions being posted for all to read rather than just sent
on to the person asking the question. I don't want to repost a question
shortly after someone has already done so, but it's clear at times that all
the replies to their question have been sent privately. I've been guilty of
this answering privately from time to time so I know why one does it, but
there are times someone thinks of a question and I find shortly thereafter
that I also I have need of the answer. Posting answers to the list as well
as privately is much appreciated by those of us who "lurk" from time to
time. Thanks!

Pat

http://www.tonerdesign.com