Re: More stupid basic questions

by CSteely <hwg(at)csteely.com>

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:31:40 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks for responding, and thank you to the rest of you who responded!

> > 1.  How many different versions of my site do I have to make, to
> > accommodate the different browsers/versions, and whether or not
> > they've got their javascript enabled?
>
>How many angles on the head of a pin?

obtuse? ;-)

>A better question might be: "Where do you draw the line?"

Actually, that is what I meant (I should have emphasized "have to" in my
question to make this more clear)

>There are several statistical sites that can give you a "rough" estimate
>of the percentage of persons using the various grades of browsers.
>Depending on the amount of time you can afford to spend
>on this subject, you can argue for weeks over the accuracy and relevance
>of these sites or simply accept one as "close enough" and act accordingly.

I am more than willing.  The thought of making a dozen or two versions of
each page is overwhelming. Where can I find these sites?

>Actually, a simple JavaScript can check to see it the JavaScript is turned
>on and direct then to your non-JavaScript site. Why not also make that
>site serve as well for the "browser challanged" and non-Microsoft surfers?

Yes, that is ideal.

> > 2.  How do I know who is who, and send the various people with their
> > various configurations to the appropriate version of my site?
>
>The same script as above can do this by checking for text readers, browser
>brand and version number. It could for example, send everything except
>IE-4-5 browsers to the "simple" site.

Excellent, and I am off to the script sites to search one out.  But there
are so many sites, and so many scripts in them (not to mention all the
different scripts that supposedly do the same thing), it's hard to know
where to start.  One of my (many) problems, in my current state of
newbie-ness, is not knowing what the thing I am looking for is called, even
though I know what I want it to do.  Makes for a LOT of time spent
searching through these websites.  Help?

TIA very much (again)
CS