Re: Case sensitive url's are dumb, aren't they?

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:40:06 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
If you think this is troublesome, think about this:  there is a proposal to
allow characters from national character sets in URLs - accented
characters, chinese characters, and probably (eventually) all Unicode
characters - which will make life even more interesting.

At 01:47 PM 06/24/00, you wrote:

>Sorry if this is off topic as to html itself but I thought, 'cause it was the
>media in which it works, that it would be close enough?
>
>I have a new isp that is set up so a url has to be typed *exactly* as it is in
>his server.  I mean, it you type Index instead of index, you won't get the
>page.
>I see this with directories, gifs, etc.   Everything has to match the calling
>case...    Isn't that a bit dumb?   I'm probably not seeing the whole picture
>here but the isp guy says everything should be done in lower case...  Sure
>*would* solve everything if there *wasn't* another case to worry about,
>but net
>fusion, etc. keeps throwing in that big stuff...
>
>Can someone shed some light on this so I don't blame my isp guy unfairly.  Why
>is there case sensitivity and should it/can it be eliminated?
>
>Floyd Baker
>

>--

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/