Re: page crashes Netscape - why? - Some final remarks

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:02:36 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  kixi(at)altavista.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:32 PM 08/07/00, you wrote:
>In my opinnion is it up to W3C making the closing tag required for all
>elemts defining enviroments. At least they are able telling their
>validator to check for the existence of closing tags for _all enviroment
>defining tags_ . Anyone who disagrees?

Closing tags ARE required for XHTML, which is the successor to HTML.  I
have converted half a dozen of my old sites to XHTML, and develop all new
sites using XHTML:  the stricter rules help prevent problems such as were
discussed in this thread.  (And note that old browsers handle XHTML just
fine, so there is no compatibility issue.)

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/