Re: NN6 and layers

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:42:19 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:25 PM 08/07/00, you wrote:
>Are many of you testing your pages in Netscape 6 beta? NN6's rendering
>engine will be used for Netscape's future releases, and anything else that
>uses this engine (like a future AOL browser (10% to 20% of surfers)).
>
>The reason I ask is... layers. Until recently the two major browsers handled
>layers differently. Netscape 4+ used a "layer" tag around the content, while
>IE4+ put a span or div around the content and used a stylesheet to assign it
>a z-level.
>
>To work around this, I used a browser sniffer and had a NN version and an IE
>version of these pages.
>
>Now I see NN6 fails on the Netscape-layers version, but works correctly on
>the IE-stylesheet version! Is this right? Has Netscape given up on its
>"layer" tag, and followed IE (and W3C) on this? Causing me to do even more
>browser sniffing, so I can send NN6 to the IE version of the page? Argh!

Netscape 6 is supposed to supposed to support the standards, not
proprietary features.  In the long run this will make website creation
easier.  In the short run, those who made use of Netscape's proprietary
features will have to adapt.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/