Re: Colors Red and Green vs Red/Green Color Blindness

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:50:15 EDT
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Friends:

Caryl asked:

> Can anyone tell me what the general effect is when visitors who are
>  red/green color blind visit a page with red or green text?  According to
>  their personal condition, does it appear too big a variety of ways to
>  address here?  I had the links on my page colored red, with vlink blue .
>  . . thinking that would be too much a problem for those with this eye
>  condition, I redid my vlinks to a shade of dark gold.

I think it's a wonderful thing that you are taking accessibility issues
seriously.

Generally, if there is enough contrast between the text and the background
surrounding it, there should be no problem.  If you want further information,
you should visit the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/

Go to section 2 - "Don't Rely On Color Alone"

Hope this helps....

- Jeff