Re: Learning a programming language

by Nik Gare <nik(at)cheddarcheese.de>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Mar 2000 12:14:10 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics-digest(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 09 Mar, Brian Vondette <bvondette(at)wyndamgroup.com> wrote:
> I am a pretty advanced html programmer that wants to learn a language
> that can help spruce up my productions.  I have no real programming
> knowledge.    ultimately I would like to be able to integrate an
> ecommerce cart into my web pages.

I would recommend using PHP ( http://www.php.net )
It is a hybrid of Perl, C++ and other things, it integrates well with
databases (MySQL, Oracle etc), seems to be quicker than Perl, and most
webproviders seem to have it if they already have Perl.
It's also fairly easy to learn (I'm learning it, and I'm no programmer).
There are also a few ready made shopping cart type scripts available under
GPL.
And it's also available for a number or platforms, Linux, Unix, Windows,
BeOS, RISC OS, MacOS and probably a few more.

TTFN
Nik

--
http://www.cheddarcheese.de