Re: Visitors actually reading text?

by ErthWlkr(at)aol.com

 Date:  Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:47:59 EST
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello:

You asked:

> Am I the only one who thinks that a well-formatted webpage discourages the
>  visitors to scan text rather than read it and that a not so well formatted
>  webpage means that people won't read the text at all - they'll leave?
>  By well-formatted text I mean having bulleted text, numbered text, using
>  indents, bold text where appropriate and so on.

>From the Yale Web Style Guide:

"Readers experience Web pages in two ways: as a direct medium where pages are
read online, and as a delivery medium to access information that is later
downloaded into text files or printed onto paper. Your expectations about how
readers will typically use your site should govern your design decisions.
Documents to be read online must be concise, with the amount of graphics
carefully "tuned" to the bandwidth available to the mainstream of your
audience. But don't patronize your readers or insult their intelligence. The
common advice that the Web is dominated by semi-literate "screenagers" who
won't read more than two sentences in a row is grossly exaggerated, and
probably irrelevant to you and your audience anyway. You do not need to "dumb
down" your content or shave it to a meaningless skeleton. Just be aware that
readers will typically want to print longer pages or more complex
presentations to read "offline" from paper."

You can read more at:
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/contents.html

- Jeff K.