Re: WYSIWYG editors, and an IE rant

by Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:46:44 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Pro 6, while it seems like an<br>
excellent product, and not expensive and less offensive than
FrontPage,<br>
it requires IE 5+ for full functionality. To me, this is like being
held<br>
hostage. So many programs are written this way. Now I know why IE is
the<br>
most popular browser; it's not because people like it better, it's<br>
because they are forced to use it because other programs require
it.<br>
Also because they are lazy, and it comes with Windows so why take
the<br>
This is probably because they use some of the IE5 .dll files to run their
program.<br>
No point in providing them again if you already have have them. When I
write an application in Visual Basic, it scoops up all of the .dll s it
needs and packeages them with the program for installation if you need
them.<br>
It is likely that they are using a .dll file that they were unable to get
the rights to redistribute, but just shares the one you have to provide
the functionality.<br>
I use Adobe GoLive... and the reason there for having IE on your box is
that it will use that to display the finished products so that you can
see what it looks like. <br>
Other browsers, such as Neoplanet will only work if you also have
IE.&nbsp; It uses the IE engine, but provides different user interfaces
and functionalities. It is likely that other Editors would do the
same.<br>
Elias<br>