RE: SSI calls and Loading time

by Virginia Blalock <virginia(at)visionsnet.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:30:56 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:51 PM 12/12/00 -0500, Kali Woodbridge wrote:

>Pages WILL take longer to load but this is more than compensated IMHO
>by the ability to maintain consistency across pages and make site-wide
>updates by changing a single file. Depending on the volume of data in
>the SSI and the number of SSI's in a file, changing to hard coding may
>decrease loadtime only slightly.
>
>So, how do you define "a lot" of SSI material? What does the overall
>page size end up being once it is parsed on a browser? Is the overall
>load time acceptable for your market?

What is happening is that there is a hitch before everything loads. I have
three things I think could cause it-a small java applet, a CGI script that
goes and fetches certain data to display on the page and the SSI stuff.
There is at least 5 SSI calls. I took out the CGI script and the applet and
there still was a hitch before the page loaded.

Virginia's Visions                         Esportfans
http://www.visionsnet.com            http://www.esportfans.com
virginia(at)visionsnet.com                virginia(at)esportfans.com