RE: Seen this lately?

by Lead <lead(at)sunshineband.org>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:34:54 -0600
 To:  Dennis Lapcewich <dlapcewich(at)intira.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "'James Roberts'" <jamiergroberts(at)hotmail.com>, Ted Temer <temer(at)c-zone.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>There is already considerable research out there illustrating attention
>spans, eye strain, ability to retain information, etc., are vastly different
>between the "traditional" printed page and a web page (see
>http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990124.html among others).  If this were a

First, the link you provided also breaks the rules about line length on the
web...hehe...but of course, that is NOT what this particular article
discusses (it is still an interesting article, and is now in my
bookmarks...thanks).

I have been gathering links to articles and posts from lists and
information in general and compiling them into one piece that I give to new
clients to read, so that they (hopefully) understand some of the things
that we designers are always complaining about them NOT understanding. It
started when I gathered information about search engines after one too many
clients thought I could just go get them number one ranking in all SEs
based on the fact that they have a website selling furniture. In the past
few months it's expanded a bit, and I was just last week trying to explain
to someone that it might be a good thing not to have their body copy
scrawled all the was across someone's 19inch monitor in 12 pt font.

Soooooo....can anyone provide links to some of the info on eye strain and
line-length, serif vs. sans-serif fonts, and the like? I'm going to compile
all this into a page on my site instead of just floating around in bits and
pieces on my hard drive. While I'm at it...what are everyone's favorite
articles on this sort of thing? Stuff you really wish clients knew before
they came to your front door (or in-box, as it were). If you've got links,
send 'em my way. If you've WRITTEN something, by ALL means, share it with
the rest of us! If you'd like to spill your innermost desires about what
you wish clients knew, now might be a good time to do so. I'm thinking
nice, concise, easy to comprehend information that won't lose clients in
technical voodoo.

Jeniffer
OffLead Productions