Re: Is using tables for page layout bad?

by Tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 05 Apr 2001 19:32:59 -0500
 To:  HWG-Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:51 PM 4/5/2001 -0400, Kevin Warrene wrote:
>Ed,
>
>Using tables for page layout is the only way that I create a web page.
>They are extremely versatile. They also allow you to create a type of
>template as well for other web pages/sites.

I use tables all the time -- I have to use tables, it's the only way to
even come close to cross-browser compatibility.

However, I believe there will be a point when the number of appliances
accessing content on the web will result in quite a few posts about why web
*pages* won't render on a cell phone/pda/or refrigerator due to the nature
of the appliance's *browser.* (I know, the old man just shudders at the
thought).

So, we now have something called XHTML which, on our end, uses CSS to place
items that are still better off tabled. But, those tables are probably not
going to work on some of these appliances.

For now, a good example is over at http://alistapart.com/ -- the site is
fully compliant XHTML and uses CSS for placement of things like navigation
that I still put in a table.

Look at it in IE, look at it in NS 6, look again in NN4+

{{shudder}}

...but folks, I have this feeling that this is the sort of thing we have to
look forward to as the *web* evolves.

Having fun yet??

<tamara />