Re: Opera - from-digest V1 #868

by Neil Plucknett <neil.plucknett(at)virgin.net>

 Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 18:26:11 +0100
 To:  hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
<snip>

>Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:07:30 -0700
>From: "Lauren Hanka" <bluejay(at)starband.net>
>Subject: Re: Opera
>
>Well, I've heard all this talk about Opera, but is there someone out there
>who actually uses it besides webmasters? O.K., so maybe I'm asking for it,
>but I'd like to know...
>
>Lauren

<unsnip>

I use it 85% of the time at home and at work.   The speed and facilities
are better than anything  - apart from Netscape 6 which is a close
runner.   Wouldn't swap it for anything.  One major advantage I've found is
if there is an error in the pages code both IE and Netscape refuse to load
it whereas Opera will, thus it's usually easy to spot where things have
gone wrong - e.g. pictures suddenly stop loading or tables look weird on screen

<snip>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:01:55 -0700
>From: "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>
>Subject: Re: Opera
>
>Lauren:
>
>In almost ALL web services displaying browser statistics, Opera is part of
>the "Other" percentage.
>
>Here is a copy and paste from:
>http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/browsers.html
>http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/systemos.html

<unsnip>

Intrigueing thing with Opera - you can tell it what you want it to be -
MSIE 5, Mozilla 3, 4.76 or 5.    And the site you browse to records it as
the selected preference.    I'm also web master for the plants site where I
work and if I check the access logs the browser never shows as Opera for my
user-id; only ever shows the selected ID from within Opera!!!
Well - that's my two-pennorth added to the topic :-)

Neil.