Re: Placing Text Over a Non-Background Image

by Greg Hart <ghhart(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:51:11 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>You could use the zindex in CSS, as in this example:
>
>http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_zindex2
>
>The limitation is that it would restrict you to the higher CSS browsers
>(ie, no Netscape 4.x), but NS 4.x also won't do the before-mentioned table
>background idea correctly (from experience).

Let me correct myself (I'm still learning things about CSS). It seems that
NN 4.x just objects to having a negative value in the zindex...so if you
raise the main text on the page to a higher index than the image, keeping
them both a positive value, it should work with any CSS browser. I haven't
tested it out though...

Greg Hart